Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Artist


         I am very interested in natural cycles, process, evolution, found art, surface textures.  I feel that my work is closely tied to Philadelphia, my aesthetic influenced by the juxtaposition of our rich history with the influences of the twenty-first century.  Attending Central High School I feel has tied me to the city.  My first experiences of First Friday, my volunteer work at the Painted Bride, have all carved my artistic career to reflect the care and devotion to the arts I have witnessed from the city.  My work is a steady buildup, an accumulated beauty, often visually excessive, materialist, even overwhelming.  I feel having been exposed to so much of Philadelphia, experienced each of its many diverse neighborhoods, I marvel at how everything is held together.  So much of our city is culturally unique, I strive to weave its disparate threads in my creations.  People may say that Philadelphia is ugly but I find beauty and potential in all its many crevices.  I have always had an affinity for collecting, creating meaning, and making use of my surroundings.  Constructing and deconstructing have been regular themes in my work as I watch Philadelphia grow.  Manifesting itself in collage, or the drawing of demolitions.  The work seeks to represent the multidimensional, layered reality which its creator experiences everyday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment